Sunday 1 November 2009

Halloween running around Bend in a half


Halloween had the Run Like Hell Bend half marathon. Plenty of costumes, especially in the 5k. But I opted for the longer race and had a tough day running into the wind around Aubrey Butte, a volcanic hill in west Bend. Nice big hill to climb from about 4-9.5 miles, which wouldn't seem like much if it wasn't for the fact it's a road half and the pace is fast - only about a 400ft climb.

I wanted to lower my half marathon PB after almost beating it in the marathon last weekend (75:46 to beat) but the tired legs and wind defeated that aim. Still happy to have seen some new parts on the edge of town and had a good tempo run in 1h17m with 3rd place. And I felt comfy at faster paces than normal, excluding the middle miles with wind and uphill, so a good day, all in all.

Then there was a mini party at Deschutes Brewery, where the race HQ was. 2 free beers and some food and other drink. But as I had to drive home I just chatted to a few people and enjoyed an opener to some Halloween fun for that evening. I'd considered running in fancy dress but wanted to save my costume for the evening - Spider Elvis...

No comments:

Post a Comment